How to use a PS4 controller on PS5
Tutorial Name: How to use a PS4 controller on PS5
Category: PlayStation 5 Tutorials
Submitted By: Sean
Related Forum: PlayStation Forum
You'll no doubt wonder if you can use a PS4 controller on PS5, especially If you're looking at a way to get a second controller for your new console without forking out for a second pad. Well, I have complicated news for you folks. Yes, it's possible, but there are also some quite huge caveats. Here's everything you need to know about using a PS4 controller on PS5.
How the PS4 controller works with PS5
You can use a PS4 controller with PS5, but you can only use your PS4 pad to play PS4 games on PS5. You cannot use your DualShock 4 to play any PS5 specific games - including all those PS5 launch games.
"We believe that PS5 games should take advantage of the new capabilities and features we're bringing to the platform, including the features of DualSense wireless controller," says Sony in a statement on the PlayStation blog.
This also extends to "PlayStation officially licensed third-party gamepad controllers" too.
If you do sync up a PS4 pad with your PS5, if you try and play anything designated as a PS5 game it'll flash up a little warning saying "PS5 games can't be played using the DUALSHOCK 4".
Thankfully, the benefits of using the PS5 controller are seriously worth it. You'll just need to buy a second if you want to play co-op or simply have a spare to switch out.
How to pair your PS4 controller with PS5
However, for PS4 titles, syncing up a PS4 controller is really simple and easy.
All you need to do is plug it into your PS5 via a charging cable, and pick which of the PS5 users you want to use it. Et voila, it's that easy. You can then unplug the cable and continue playing PS4 games on PS5 with your trusty ol' PS4 controller.
- 01. PlayStation 5 How to Preset Game Options(360)
- 02. PS5 How to Stream to Twitch and YouTube(361)
- 03. PS5 How to Capture and Record Videos(311)
- 04. PS5 How to Add and Remove Users(477)
- 05. PlayStation 5 How to Enable Cloud Saving(492)
- 06. PS5 How to Use the Game Switcher and Switch Game Versions(651)
- 07. PlayStation 5 How to Set Up 3D Audio(595)
- 08. PlayStation 5 How to Expand Storage(408)
- 09. How to set up parental controls on PS5(454)
- 10. If you get error code CE-107863-5 on PS5, this might fix it(1,082)
- 11. How to adjust the brightness on PS5 DualSense controller(1,078)
- 12. PS5: What You Should Do First With The New Console(457)
- 13. PS5: How to Capture and Share Gameplay, Screenshots(410)
- 14. How to transfer games to PS5 external hard drive(484)
- 15. How to download PS4 saves on PS5(435)