The videos, which are claimed to have been created a few months before Cyberpunk 2077’s release in December 2020, look to have leaked via the files stolen from CD Projekt as part of a recent data breach.
The videos show various Cyberpunk bugs edited for comedic effect. It’s likely the footage was created with the intention of being included as bonus material for the final game, as CD Projekt did for The Witcher 3, and that it changed its mind following widespread criticism of the console version.
A now-deleted tweet from one of the game’s producers appeared to confirm the video’s legitimacy on Sunday, and called it “a fun composition of bug materials collected by QA and developers through years of development”.
However, the video could also be seen as further evidence that the Polish studio was aware of the buggy state of Cyberpunk ahead of its release.
Warning: the second video contains NSFW content.
Bloomberg journalist Jason Schreier, who has previously reported on Cyberpunk’s troubled development, said the videos were further evidence “that the makers of the game were well aware of what shape it was in late last year”.
In a video apology published weeks after Cyberpunk 2077’s release, CD Project co-founder and joint CEO Marcin Iwinski claimed CD Projekt’s “testing did not show a big part of the issues” players experienced at release and that the company genuinely believed the console version of the title was ready to be released alongside the PC one, which reviewed relatively well.
Last week, CD Projekt stated that it’s still awaiting Sony’s approval to bring the game back to the PlayStation Store, over five months after it was delisted for its poor performance on the last-gen PS4 console.
The furore surrounding the game’s launch issues have also led to legal action. The Witcher developer confirmed last week that four class action lawsuits brought against it over Cyberpunk 2077’s launch have been consolidated.
In January, when I reported that most of the developers of Cyberpunk knew and openly said it wouldn’t be ready for release in 2020, CDPR studio head Adam Badowski responded on Twitter: “You’ve talked with 20 people... I wouldn’t call that ‘most’” https://t.co/9EdqK6LAVf— Jason Schreier (@jasonschreier) June 6, 2021
CD Projekt Red first revealed in February that it had fallen victim to a targeted cyber attack. In a statement, the developer said some of its internal systems had been compromised and “certain data” stolen.
The stolen data was said to include the source code files for CD Projekt Red’s game development engine, RedEngine, and titles including The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, an upcoming ray-traced version of The Witcher 3, Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales and Cyberpunk 2077.
Now, according to databreaches.net, the same data from the CD Projekt breach has been shared online. The leaked videos also include footage of a pre-alpha build of Cyberpunk which has a third-person camera.
Related Forum: Gaming Discussion