Super Mario 64: Whomp's Fortress Stars
Tutorial Name: Super Mario 64: Whomp's Fortress Stars
Category: Game Walkthroughs & Guides
Submitted By: Sean
Related Forum: Gaming Discussion
The next level in Super Mario 64 is very similar to the first - a fortress that's home to a classic Mario enemy.
Whomp's Fortress is arguably an even more simple stage than Bob-omb Battlefield, but it does have some obtuse, well-hidden stars and coins. This level was later remade in subsequent Mario games, and it's considered a classic. Here's how to nab all the stars.
imilar to the first back on Bob-omb Battlefield, in that it involves a vertical climb up a relatively linear level until you reach a boss. At the top of the fortress is a huge Whomp, the Whomp King. He'll jump to try to flatten you, but if you run towards him you can squeeze under him. Then jump on his back while he's down and butt-stomp. Three will defeat him, and then you get the star as a reward. If you fall off, the hit counter on the boss will reset.
Whomp's Fortress Star 2: To the Top of the Fortress
With Whomp gone, the fortress now has a new tower at the top. Go back to where you fought Whomp, then use careful platforming to climb the tower. The star is at the very top. Easy!
Whomp's Fortress Star 3: Shoot into the Wild Blue
Where there's a moving platform halfway up the fortress, if you fall you'll land in water, a small side area. Down here is a friendly pink Bob-omb that can activate a cannon. Use the cannon to shoot at the platform underneath a pole. Shot right, Mario will grab the pole as you fly past. Shot wrong, you'll probably fly to your doom and lose a life. Once Mario grabs the pole, slide down to get the star.
Whomp's Fortress Star 4: Red Coins on the Floating Isle
At Whomp's Fortress most of the red coins are on the way to the fortress, with a few exceptions:
Above the middle moving piece of wall at the start of the level
Above the second Thwomp on the stairs - backflip onto it after the Thwomp smashes down
Behind the first sleeping Piranha Plant
On a narrow ledge between the two Piranha Plants
In the path of the rotating platform
On the slope below the rotating platform - fall down to get it
On floating platforms at the peak of the fortress
On another floating platform atop the fortress
Whomp's Fortress Star 5: Fall onto the Caged Island
This star is found on a floating island near the top of the stage, but you won't just be able to jump inside. You need to use a friend: Hoot. Hoot is an owl found inside the tree right next to your starting point - jump and climb up the tree to disturb Hoot, then look at their shadow. Jump and grab hold of Hoot, who'll then fly high. Control your descent with the stick and either land on the platform or let go of Hoot just above it to grab the Power Star. This can be tricky, so expect it to take a few tries - and you'll have to exit the stage and re-enter to get Hoot to respawn.
Whomp's Fortress Star 6: Blast Away the Wall
There are two walls either side of the rotating platform. On the side near the Piranha Plants, it's actually a fake wall. Head to the cannon we used for Star 3, and this time point directly at the wall. This will hurt Mario more than it does you - point the cannon at the corner of that wall and fire. Mario will hit it, blasting the wall away and revealing the star hidden inside.
Whomp's Fortress Star 7: Collect 100 Coins
Another hidden 100-coin star, this is similarly easy, as there's loads of coins in Whomp's Fortress. This time there are less yellow coins - only around 70 - but there are more coins to be head from enemies and 7 blue coins (worth 5 each) to be had.
- 01. Kingdom of Aurelia - Mystery of the Poisoned Dagger(1,718)
- 02. Demon Hunter: New Chapter Achievement/Trophy Walkthrough(2,302)
- 03. Crime Secrets: Crimson Lily Achievement/Trophy Walkthrough(3,296)
- 04. 9 Clues 2: The Ward Achievement Walkthrough (Xbox)(1,805)
- 05. Iris Fall 100% Platinum | Trophy & Achievement Walkthrough(1,871)
- 06. High on Life | Spent 15 Hours At The Alien Strip Club Guide(2,778)
- 07. High on Life | Cold-Blooded Driller Achievement Guide(2,217)
- 08. High on Life | Eatin' Good in the Neighborhood Achievement(3,208)
- 09. High on Life | Epic Legendary Prize(2,394)
- 10. High on Life | First Bounty Down Achievement Guide(2,213)
- 11. High on Life | We Paid For The Rights To Put A Whole Movie(2,083)
- 12. High on Life | Carried Stan's Load to Completion (Secret)(2,958)
- 13. High on Life | Eye Scream, You Scream Achievement Guide(2,239)
- 14. Red Dead Online Achievements Walkthrough(1,780)
- 15. High on Life | We're All Very Impressed Trust Me Achievement(2,348)