How to Upgrade the Xbox One Hard Drive
Tutorial Name: How to Upgrade the Xbox One Hard Drive
Category: Xbox One Miscellaneous
Submitted By: Sean
While users do not have the ability to upgrade the internal storage of their XB1 consoles, the device is compatible with a myriad of external hard drives. They can be used for unused file storage, though when properly formatted, games can be played directly from the external drive.
In some cases, this can help cut down on loading times as the USB 3.0 connection is able to transmit data at a faster rate than the internal HD.
Selecting a Storage Upgrade
In order to successfully upgrade the storage capacity of the Xbox One, there are several requirements that need to be met:
USB 3.0 connection
256GB minimum storage space.
5400RPM drive speed.
We tested a number of supported hard drives. See: our selection of the best performing Xbox One hard drive.
Installing the External Storage Unit
. Once an acceptable hard drive has been selected, the installation / setup process is fairly simple.
Power on the Xbox One and plug the external storage device into one of the three USB 3.0 ports located on the console.
Once the drive is connected, a notification should appear on the Xbox screen. Press the Menu button to proceed to the setup screen, or select it manually by navigating to:
Settings > System > Manage Storage
Select the external drive and scroll down to the Format for Games & Apps option and press A.
After the storage device is successfully formatted, power off and restart the Xbox One. This is not a required step, but it is recommended.
Once the XB1 restarts, the total sum of available space (between both the internal and external drives) should be displayed on the Games and Apps screen. You can now install games, apps and all of your other content to either the internal or external storage devices on your Xbox One.
- 01. How to Transfer Xbox One Sav... (450)
- 02. How to Update Your Xbox One... (351)
- 03. Astro A40 Setup for XBONE (1,129)
- 04. How to record longer then 5... (658)
- 05. How to get Deadeye and Limi... (1,135)
- 06. How to fix Xbox One Control... (1,476)
- 07. How to get Volume Shooter a... (1,176)
- 08. How to do the Demigod Glit... (11,739)
- 09. forza horizon 2 storm islan... (1,384)
- 10. Where to find Triss [Witche... (2,309)
- 11. How to exchange currency in... (1,062)
- 12. How to fix witcher 3 no aud... (4,308)
- 13. How to Stream Spotify to Xb... (8,048)
- 14. How to download your stream... (1,573)
- 15. Call of Duty Advaced Warfar... (1,041)