Applying a Texture to a Selection in Photoshop
Tutorial Name: Applying a Texture to a Selection in Photoshop
Category: Graphics Tutorials
Submitted By: Time
Related Forum: Graphics Forum
How to Apply a Texture to an image in Photoshop
Ever wondered how edited pictures or websites often have a slight texture that only applies to a certain part of an image? Such as the texture used in this logo design? Well in this simple tutorial I'm going to show you how to achieve this effect.
Step 1: Assets
Unedited picture or element
Texture image (wall, metal, wood, etc.)
Basic Photoshop knowledge (layers, tools, overlays)
Step 2: Open the picture you intend to add a texture to
I'm choosing to add a texture effect to the 'FaZe Clan' logo, however textures can be added to any picture, design, etc. to create a more complete, realistic look.
Step 3: Placing the Texture Image
Now that you have the image you desire to add a texture to is opened in Photoshop, you're going to want to add the texture to a new layer and place it over your original picture.
Step 4: Editing the texture layer's options
You need to adjust the grey-scale of the image to avoid ruining the colours of the original image and to bring out the shadows that textures intend to bring
- To do this select the texture layer, then select it's content by pressing 'Command+A' (CTRL A for PC)
Press 'Command+U' (CTRL+U for PC) and move the saturation slider all the way to the right
Step 5: Editing the Texture Layer Options
By default, layers will just stack onto each other instead of blending together. To fix this and get the texture to blend with your original image we you must switch the texture layer to overlay. This will allow the highlights and shadows to stand out.
- From layer blending styles, select overlay from the drop down box.
Step 6: Masking the texture
Right click on the texture layer and click "Create Clipping Mask"
Congratulations, you have just learnt how to add texture to an image in Photoshop! If you have any questions regarding the tutorial please don't hesitate to contact me via Private Message and I'll be sure to respond as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience and I hope I was able to help or assist anyone.
- 01. Paint Shop Pro - Using the Text Tool(1,280)
- 02. Paint Shop Pro - Cutout Text(1,764)
- 03. Paint Shop Pro - Creating Bevels(2,183)
- 04. Paint Shop Pro - Creating a(739)
- 05. 3DS Max - FumeFX Explosion Tutorial(1,795)
- 06. 3DS Max - Car Modeling Tutorial (Autodesk)(1,146)
- 07. 3DS Max - Animation with the Reactor Toolset Tutorial(1,158)
- 08. 3DS Max - 3D Text Animation Tutorial(1,749)
- 09. 3DS Max - Character Clothing Tutorial(4,650)
- 10. How to create a HomeGroup (Windows 10)(1,316)
- 11. Create a Magical Starry Night of Polar Bears in Photoshop.(1,139)
- 12. How to Create a Surreal Secret Mission Scene in Photoshop.(814)
- 13. How to Create a Surreal Game of Thrones Photo Manipulation.(1,011)
- 14. How to Create Your Own Custom Landscapes in Photoshop.(996)
- 15. Create a Romantic and Warm Portrait Photo Manipulation(748)