The mother of all leaks recently grabbed internet-wide headlines when a bucketload of Grand Theft Auto 6 gameplay footage emerged online, showing gameplay footage and revealing details from an alpha build of the game. Since then, Rockstar and parent company Take-Two Interactive have started the process of having any shared links of the leaked data taken down, and the former has now issues an official statement regarding the matter as well.
While there were some concerns that a leak of this magnitude – where the game’s source code was also said to have been illegally acquired – would have had a long-term impact on Grand Theft Auto 6’s development and its release timeline, Rockstar has said in its statement (which irrefutably confirms the legitimacy of the leaks, in case there was any lingering doubt) that that won’t be the case.
“At this time, we do not anticipate any disruption to our live game services nor any long-term effect on the development of our ongoing projects,” the company writes.
“We are extremely disappointed to have any details of our next game shared with you all in this way,” the statement continues. “Our work on the next Grand Theft Auto game will continue as planned and we remain as committed as ever to delivering an experience to you, our players, that truly exceeds your expectations. We will update everyone again soon and, of course, will properly introduce you to this next game when it is ready.”
Previous reports have mentioned that Grand Theft Auto 6 will be set in Vice City and will feature two playable protagonists, one of whom will be a woman. Those details have since been confirmed by the leaks.
While there’s no official word on when the game will launch, as per reports, GTA 6 is targeting a launch sometime in 2024 or 2025.
A Message from Rockstar Games pic.twitter.com/T4Wztu8RW8— Rockstar Games (@RockstarGames) September 19, 2022
Related Forum: Grand Theft Auto Forum