I am asking for some help on deciding between the Dell G5 15 Special Edition Gaming Laptop (all AMD) OR the ASUS - ROG Zephyrus G14. I plan on buying the base model of the Dell and upgrading to a 1tb SSD and 32gb ram. This SSD and ram will be better than what is in the ASUS as I plan I getting a Samsung 970 EVO SSD and 32gb of DDR4 3200 Crucial Ballistix. BUT I will also put 32gb ram in the ASUS (only expandable through a single SO-DIMM slot [dual 2x8gb memory is soldered to board]). I will list total price with upgrades bellow. Main use of laptop will be 80% music production (mixing, mastering, etc) and 20% gaming.
Dell (with upgrades)
- Gpu: AMD Radeon RX 5600M
- Cpu: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H
- Samsung 970 EVO ($195)
- 32gb DDR4 3200 ($175)
- smartshift tech
Price: $1,447 (after taxes)
ASUS (without upgrades)
- GPU: GeForce RTX 260 Max-Q
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 4900HS
- 1tb SSD
- 16gb ram
- Dual memory is soldered to motherboard
- Offers one SO-DIMM slot for memory upgrade
Price: $1,524 (after taxes)
Things I know:
- The build of the Dell is bulkier and heavier. It also uses much more plastic than Asus. Might impact the life of ports, trackpad, keyboard, etc. I like portability of ASUS.
- The asus backlit keyboard is white and I've read it's a little difficult on eyes to use in dark. Dell has full 5 section rgb.
- Which one is faster at cpu heavy tasks for programs like Ableton Live (doesn't use gpu)?
- When I upgrade the ASUS ram to 32gb (by adding one 16gb stick in addition the dual 2x8gb) will that be more efficient than the dual 2x16gb (32gb) ram I will upgrade in the Dell. Will the ASUS have higher memory performance because it is using 3 slots or would it be the opposite. What if I put a single 32gb ram stick in the ASUS in addition to the 2x8gb (16gb)? How would it perform compared to the dual 2x16gb (32gb) ram I put in the dell?
- Which laptop is better at gaming? I know the Dell has a 144hz display and the Asus has 120hz, but which one would run smoother (keep upgrades in mind)
- I read that the ASUS has good battery life. But how much percent better is it than the Dell? Battery life is pretty big selling point. Is the battery able to be upgraded in the Dell. I saw a video Under the hood and it looked like there was room for longer battery.
I highly appreciate and input and feedback!