A few days ago, my friend had his PC plugged into a surge protecter and lightning struck near his house. His PC was in sleep mode, woke up the next morning and PC wasn't working. Basically, the PC boots up once, powers down, boots up again, powers down, boots up a 3rd time and stays on with all fans/motherboard lights working in the PC but with no video. When the PC boots the first and 2nd time, the ram light blinks once and then the CPU blinks each time. After the 3rd boot, the PC stays on with no debug lights on.
Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI LGA 1151
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K Socket LGA1151.
RAM: Corsair Vengance 8x2 DDR4
Power supply: EVGA 650 GQ, 80+ GOLD 650W
GPU: GTX 970 SC.
What we have tried/replaced:
- Tried plugging HDMI cable into GPU and MB.
- With HDMI into MB or GPU, tried plugging in a keyboard and usb. Made sure it was on the correct input. Seems like when we plug the HDMI into the gpu, the monitor recognizes the connection but still says the monitor is going into sleep mode.
-Swapped out the MB with Motherboard:MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS (Socket LGA1151) - same socket as CPU.
- Swapped out the RAM with RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16x2. Tried putting one in at a time. Tried each slot and also tried putting both in.
- Swapped out the power supply, still does the boot cycle like above.
- GPU fans work. After the 3rd boot, fans are on and running but after 2 minutes they stop.
What we haven't replaced:
We are thinking it's either the CPU or GPU, I mean what else is there to test/check. If you have an opinions, please let me know.