GeneralSwitching Intel to AMDPosted:

Reputation Power: 0
So my current build is [ Register or Signin to view external links. ]

As you can see I have an I3-6100 and a gigabyte micro atx motherboard. I'm thinking I want to switch to AMD and buy a Ryzen 2700x for a significant improvement but obviously I'd have to get a new mobo.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd have to ditch my old mobo, get a Ryzen compatible micro ATX mobo, get a new Ryzen CPU and cooler?

This is my first build (it being an older budget build from 2015-16) and would love any advice on my current plan as in what you'd do differently or any precautions I should take.

All responses are appreciated. (:
#2. Posted:
  • Ninja
Reputation Power: 2548
Motto: Thanks to Mortar and Hi for Gold < 3
It would be useful to know why you want the CPU upgrade. You might just be better off grabbing a used Skylake/Kaby Lake i5 or i7, rather than buying a new motherboard and CPU. Ryzen is great(I love my 1700x), but why spend the money if it's not necessary, right?

If you do upgrade to Ryzen, you can get an AM4 mounting kit for your cooler, you should be able to get one from CM, or you can use the included cooler if you buy a SKU that comes with one. That RAM is going to be a bit of a bitch with Ryzen though.