Ps3Xploit - Now Install CFW from 4.82 OFW: NOR/NAND Software Flash Writer + NOR Dumper Released
This is a historical release for the PS3 Scene. As a thanksgiving present, the team behind PS3Xploit has released a Software Flash writer for PS3 Firmware 4.82. This is months ahead of their promised date of "roughly March 2018". This hack will let you install a PS3 Custom Firmware on your retail 4.82 Console (the latest firmware).
PS3Xploit CFW Flasher: important limitations/disclaimer
The tool is however limited to known "downgradable" models. This means all PS3 Phat models, and some models of PS3 Slim. Specifically, PS3 Slims that shipped with factory firmware 3.56 or below. Some PS3 slims released in 2011 shipped with firmware 3.60 and will not be able to use this tool. Additionally, PS3 SuperSlim models cannot use this tool. The source link below has a comprehensive FAQ that lets you check if your PS3 Slim has the right factory firmware or not.
In other words:
PS3 Phat: this CFW installer will work for you
PS3 Slim: Will work on most models, but you have to check your factory firmware (see FAQ link below)
PS3 SuperSlim: This release is not for you+
The developers of the flasher warn that running the exploit on a model that is not compatible will brick your PS3. Confirm that your console is compatible with the exploit before attempting to run it!
PS3Xploit Flash Writer: what does it do, and what's next?
It was possible to flash these consoles with hardware solutions only, until now. This release lets you install a CFW on your PS3 4.82 console with a 100% software (and free) solution. It opens up possibilities for people who are on the latest firmware but didn't want the costs and risks associated with a hardware flasher.
In the current release, this flasher will let you install a 4.82 CFW on your console. You can then switch to other CFW versions if you need/want to.
For people who are on a console that is not compatible, the folks behind PS3Xploit have stated that they are working on a Homebrew ENabler (HEN) solution, which will give you most of the benefits of a CFW at runtime (without writing anything to the Flash). Typically a HEN gives you all the benefits of a CFW, except you have to re-launch it every time you turn the console on: it does not stay installed permanently. But such a HEN solution for people on unhackable consoles might not come soon, as the PS3Xploit team have not committed to a release date.
NOR Dumper for 4.81/4.82
NAND/NOR Writer for 4.82
PS3 OFW 4.82 NAND/NOR FLASH WRITER v1.0
Important -- AVOIDING A BRICK
Verify flsh.hex file on a flash drive and in the far right USB slot!
4.82 flsh.hex MD5: 8E156C99101BF36EC3EDB832982AE46D
DO NOT USE ON CFW (Custom Firmware) (Only Supports OFW)
DO NOT USE ON PS3 Models 3xxx/4xxx (aka SuperSlims / Late Slim models) you will brick those console.
USE ONLY ON 4.82 OFW
PLEASE READ FIRST:
So in short, never use the browser or set a homepage you cancel before running the exploit!
If you need to, set the homepage to 'blank', close the browser then reopen it to start the flash writer.
v1.0.0 - Initial Release
Supports Direct OFW to CFW patching for All Phat and 2xxx Slim (minver 3.56 Dec 2010 and lower)
the NOR/NAND writer will just copy 3Mb of CoreOS data to both ros0 & ros1 in the flash memory.
There is only one version released for 4.82. The same hex patch file can be used on nor & nand.
It's as safe as possible, with a check for usb device & patch file making the exploit hang instead of corrupting flash if file is not found.
In case of corruption (extremely rare but could always happen), it's only a partial brick because no per console info ever gets erased so a hardware flasher could still be used if ever a recovery reboot was impossible.
1) Try using a LAN connection or a solid WiFi connection during exploitation. A weak signal can cause problems.
2) If the exploit takes more than 5 minutes to work, reload page, browser, or restart console and try again.
3) If you are using a LAN connection and experience network issues, make sure all cables to router are in working order.
1. Setup a small Web server on pc or smartphone. A custom miniweb application (from: sourceforge.net/projects/miniweb/files/) with small changes to the JaveScript, and supplied to host files if you would like to use it. Don't come to us for explanations about how to run a http server though. Google it.
2. Extract the files from release to your http server root folder.
3. Copy the "flsh.hex" file from release folder to root of flash drive.
4. Put a FAT32 USB key in port closest to BD Drive (/dev_usb000).
5. DOUBLE-CHECK your flash drive on XMB to make sure it shows up under Music, Photos, Videos, etc.
6. Open the PS3 browser File Address window, write the IP address of your server (and the port if not 80) & press the Start button.
7. Select the appropriate button for your console and wait for PS3 to power down. DO NOT STOP THE PROCESS ONCE STARTED!!
8. Once PS3 has powered down, reboot console and install CFW matching OFW version. If installing through XMB does not work, boot to recovery and install.