GeneralCaught With a Fake IDPosted:

Reputation Power: 56
I attend The University of Iowa (which is in the top 10 of party schools).. last weekend some friends and I decided to go out to the bars as we do every other weekend. We walked in around 10pm which is really early so the bars were dead, we decided to sit at a table after getting some drinks and wait for the bar to fill in and the dance floor to get crazy. While we were sitting at the table we saw cops start to walk in to do an ID check, we ripped off our 21 year old wristbands that you get when you show the bouncers your ID at the door but by that time a cop was at our table saying "hey guys you're not going to be charged with anything or be in any trouble but just give me your fakes".. So after looking shocked and not knowing what to do we decided it was in our best interest to listen. We handed over our fakes and he said "come outside with me and let me educate you a little bit on these". He informed us that having an ID that was bought online can get you up to a year in jail.. We all already knew this but played dumb and acted like we didn't know. He then put all of our IDs in his pocket and told us to go home.

The only question I really have is, did we really have to give him our IDs? Nobody was even tipsy yet let alone drunk and we weren't causing any sort of disturbance.. Did he have the right to ask for our ID's?

** Just so everyone knows, if it were to happen again i'd still give up my fake without question. I was just wondering what the actual law was and if he had the right to just ID us. Also, Iowa City police took away over 2,000 fakes last year.. they don't ever put anyone in jail for it as they know everyone likes to go out here**

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GnarlyOCMD For This Useful Post:

fl6nk (09-12-2017), Xbox (09-12-2017)
#2. Posted:
Reputation Power: 2870
We need this mans take on this vv

thetechgame.com/glock-

Anyways I would just not use a fake ID no more and if you do want to drink don't do it out in public.
#3. Posted:
G-59
  • 5K Undisputed
Reputation Power: 46
Don't waste your time drinking. I know more people who have died from drinking in a week alone than I know who have died from Heroine, Coke and Narcotics combined. Shit's a recipe for disaster. Stick to natural remedies
#4. Posted:
Feminist
  • Gold Member
Reputation Power: 9
Motto: "Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see"
Haha, he caught you with that one. He was only testing to see if you guys had fake IDs, because usually when people under 21 panic they just give it up right away. Happens all the time. You did have to show him IDs if he asked though, out of suspicion of a crime (drinking under legal age.) But he never asked for your IDs, he asked for your fakes.
#5. Posted:
Dalm
  • E3 2017
Reputation Power: 474
Motto: {@@}
I mean, if you were inside and had bought drinks being underage which is illegal then I assume the police have every right to ID you, they probably knew what was going on

I've been caught using a fake in the UK, I was only handed a ban from the club though and sometimes the bouncers knew each other which ended up not being able to go in around that whole area
#6. Posted:
FireRGH
  • Gold Gifter
Reputation Power: 58
if i had to guess that cop probably walks up to all young kids and says that line as a test, if you have a real id you would have laughed and shown him your id like it was nothing. idk just my thought considering you did say your at a top 10 party school
#7. Posted:
Ethan
Reputation Power: 1442
Motto: Im only here for the anime.
You did the right thing obeying the officer. It is crucial that you not just cooperate (which implies you have the same power level) but COMPLY.

Sounds like the officer was a cool dude for letting you off without any warnings or whatever.

He will find out who you are whether you like it or not so you might as well give him the ID. You aren't required to carry an ID as a citizen of the United States, but he would assume you had one to get into the bar anyway. Then if you refuse to show him your ID or claim "you lost it" Im sure there are work arounds for Officers to be able to remove you from the premises and such.
#8. Posted:
Reputation Power: 76
Feminist wroteHaha, he caught you with that one. He was only testing to see if you guys had fake IDs, because usually when people under 21 panic they just give it up right away. Happens all the time. You did have to show him IDs if he asked though, out of suspicion of a crime (drinking under legal age.) But he never asked for your IDs, he asked for your fakes.

oh shit u got **** played LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOO

omg im in tears. i wouldve done the same tho so rip
#9. Posted:
Reputation Power: 4
G-59 wroteDon't waste your time drinking. I know more people who have died from drinking in a week alone than I know who have died from Heroine, Coke and Narcotics combined. Shit's a recipe for disaster. Stick to natural remedies

you sound like loads of fun to hang around
#10. Posted:
OwensRGH
  • 2 Million
Reputation Power: 10
I used my mates ID to go clubbing since i was 16 in the UK back in the day,