RequestLooking to upgrade my computer (£600)
Posted:

RequestLooking to upgrade my computer (£600)Posted:

3DS
  • V5 Launch
Status: Offline
Joined: Oct 19, 201310Year Member
Posts: 1,712
Reputation Power: 138
Status: Offline
Joined: Oct 19, 201310Year Member
Posts: 1,712
Reputation Power: 138
Looking to upgrade my computer and looking for some help.

I mainly use photoshop, lightroom and occasionally game.

Here are my current specs; CPU
Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz
Motherboard

MSI H97 PC Mate(MS-7850) (SOCKET 0)

Graphics
DELL U2515H (2560x1440@59Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (MSI)

Storage
232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SATA (SSD))
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 (SATA )

Thanks and any help is appreciated.
#2. Posted:
21
  • Summer 2019
Status: Offline
Joined: Oct 05, 201310Year Member
Posts: 16,207
Reputation Power: 3087
Motto: Me big smarts. Brainy boy do learns much
Motto: Me big smarts. Brainy boy do learns much
Status: Offline
Joined: Oct 05, 201310Year Member
Posts: 16,207
Reputation Power: 3087
Motto: Me big smarts. Brainy boy do learns much
Well, we need to know the make and model of your case to check for motherboard and CPU cooler compatibility. It would also be useful to know the make and model of your PSU.

CPU upgrade would make more sense than a GPU upgrade at this point IMO, so I'm thinking something like this;
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£154.98 @ CCL Computers)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£67.98 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (£103.99 @ AWD-IT)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£141.98 @ Aria PC)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£115.21 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £584.14

but again, we'll need to know the make and model of your case, at least.
#3. Posted:
3DS
  • 2 Million
Status: Offline
Joined: Oct 19, 201310Year Member
Posts: 1,712
Reputation Power: 138
Status: Offline
Joined: Oct 19, 201310Year Member
Posts: 1,712
Reputation Power: 138
Case; NZXT H440
PSU; 650W XFX XXX, Hybrid Modular, 80PLUS Bronze, 1x135mm, ATX v2.2

Thanks
#4. Posted:
3DS
  • TTG Senior
Status: Offline
Joined: Oct 19, 201310Year Member
Posts: 1,712
Reputation Power: 138
Status: Offline
Joined: Oct 19, 201310Year Member
Posts: 1,712
Reputation Power: 138
Shall I still go ahead with the upgrades you told me or switch up my case and power supply also?

Thanks for your help.
#5. Posted:
21
  • Summer 2020
Status: Offline
Joined: Oct 05, 201310Year Member
Posts: 16,207
Reputation Power: 3087
Motto: Me big smarts. Brainy boy do learns much
Motto: Me big smarts. Brainy boy do learns much
Status: Offline
Joined: Oct 05, 201310Year Member
Posts: 16,207
Reputation Power: 3087
Motto: Me big smarts. Brainy boy do learns much
Yeah, those are fine.

I'd probably want to upgrade soon, but they'll definitely do for now. The PSU is perfectly good quality, but I'd maybe upgrade to a higher end, modular unit when you have some spare cash.

For case, it's kinda personal preference. The H440 is still a fine case, perfectly good quality(like the PSU), but I got sick of mine pretty quick and swapped it out a while back now. You'd definitely be able to improve airflow with a case upgrade, but honestly temps with your H440 should be fine and if you still like it, no reason to change quite yet.
#6. Posted:
3DS
  • 2 Million
Status: Offline
Joined: Oct 19, 201310Year Member
Posts: 1,712
Reputation Power: 138
Status: Offline
Joined: Oct 19, 201310Year Member
Posts: 1,712
Reputation Power: 138
Would this still be the go to upgrade for me?

I'm buying it this weekend so any changes that you think I should make would be appreciated.
#7. Posted:
21
  • Rated Awesome
Status: Offline
Joined: Oct 05, 201310Year Member
Posts: 16,207
Reputation Power: 3087
Motto: Me big smarts. Brainy boy do learns much
Motto: Me big smarts. Brainy boy do learns much
Status: Offline
Joined: Oct 05, 201310Year Member
Posts: 16,207
Reputation Power: 3087
Motto: Me big smarts. Brainy boy do learns much
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£158.63 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£70.49 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (£104.97 @ Box Limited)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£143.03 @ SmartTeck.co.uk)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket Q 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£109.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £587.11

Different SSD and RAM due to recent price changes.
#8. Posted:
3DS
  • V5 Launch
Status: Offline
Joined: Oct 19, 201310Year Member
Posts: 1,712
Reputation Power: 138
Status: Offline
Joined: Oct 19, 201310Year Member
Posts: 1,712
Reputation Power: 138
Nice one mate, do you think I'd need more memory as what I've got at the minute seems fine and maybe invest that SSD spending on something else? Sorry to be a bug but could you reply to my PM for sec?
#9. Posted:
21
  • Summer 2019
Status: Offline
Joined: Oct 05, 201310Year Member
Posts: 16,207
Reputation Power: 3087
Motto: Me big smarts. Brainy boy do learns much
Motto: Me big smarts. Brainy boy do learns much
Status: Offline
Joined: Oct 05, 201310Year Member
Posts: 16,207
Reputation Power: 3087
Motto: Me big smarts. Brainy boy do learns much
3DS wrote Nice one mate, do you think I'd need more memory as what I've got at the minute seems fine

You can't re-use your DDR3. I'd be going with 16GB RAM at least, so if you want to save some cash, you could get 2x8GB @ 3200/3600MHz for £75-85 instead of a 32GB kit. I would personally be going with a 32GB kit if I was buying now though.


3DS wrote and maybe invest that SSD spending on something else?

I wouldn't. Nothing else that it really makes sense to put that money towards IMO. 1TB NVMe SSD's are well priced right now, and prices have been coming up recently so now's as good a time as any to buy IMO.

Doesn't make sense to put the money in to anything else IMO, since case+PSU are fine, and a GPU upgrade is gonna set you back £300 minimum really, but if you just want to save some cash go for it.
#10. Posted:
3DS
  • V5 Launch
Status: Offline
Joined: Oct 19, 201310Year Member
Posts: 1,712
Reputation Power: 138
Status: Offline
Joined: Oct 19, 201310Year Member
Posts: 1,712
Reputation Power: 138
Got you, do you think I should wait until I have more money because thinking about it I'm going to start gaming on PC as opposed to my xbox a lot more now so want the best settings for my res, maybe if i upped my budget to £800 you think it'd be beneficial?
Users browsing this topic: None
Jump to:


RECENT POSTS

HOT TOPICS